Note: The author of this work believes without reservation, that the King James Bible is more than just a priceless work of literary art, which it is. But it is has indeed been preserved without error by God's providence as an infallible book that the common man in the English speaking world can hold and own, and the light it can give rest entirely on that man's faith in it and its Author. And all those who believe otherwise have either been duped, have an unclean motive, are just ignorant or see no issue of importance in having God's word readily available in an infallible form. No amount of linguist ability can give any extra light if there is doubt to its content, the Holy Spirit will not honour anyone that want to subject this English Bible to an inferior position
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that [is] thy neighbour's.
This is the last of the Ten Commandments and it deals with matters of the heart. This is the horseleach of unfulfilled wantonness. And this is the prelude to many physical acts of adultery, stealing, murder, war and other diver sins.
Mat 15:18-19 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. (19) For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:
Luk 12:15 And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.
Luk 12:20 But God said unto him, [Thou] fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?
Pro 27:4 Wrath [is] cruel, and anger [is] outrageous; but who [is] able to stand before envy?
True contentment cannot sleep in the same chamber as covetousness.
When the Lord gave this to Moses there was no commercial ads, credit cards, lottery tickets or catalogs. And in spite of not having these tentacles of lust the commandment was still given.
How long do you think the credit card industry would stay in business if it were not for covetousness?
Why, because man it seems is prone to discontentment.
1Tim 6:8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.
Rather then being covetous of your neighbour prosperity, would it not be the Christian thing to do is tell your neighbour that itís a wonderful thing that God has blessed him so. And if your neighbour has bigger barns, just pray that he will not become a fool.
Some thoughts on covetousness.
1. Some of the most lustful people I have ever met are LAZY.
They want what the neighbour has but will not put forth the hard work of sacrifice, overtime and effort to have the same. Pro 26:15 The slothful hideth his hand in [his] bosom; it grieveth him to bring it again to his mouth.
2. Many do not have, because of sin.
I have known men who covet having a nicer car and other stuff. And yet, spent enough money on liquor to pay for it all.
Pro 23:21 For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty: and drowsiness shall clothe [a man] with rags.
3. Many have wasted opportunities in their youth to obtain a skill or education and now are reaping the results.
Pro 6:6 Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise:
Pro 20:4 The sluggard will not plow by reason of the cold; [therefore] shall he beg in harvest, and [have] nothing.
4. Perhaps if the Lord gave you your desire you would be more unthankful then you are today. Pro 30:7-9 Two [things] have I required of thee; deny me [them] not before I die: (8) Remove far from me vanity and lies: give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food convenient for me: (9) Lest I be full, and deny [thee], and say, Who [is] the LORD? or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of my God [in vain].
5. All property here on earth is temporal and the admonishments of the Holy Writ are a cure for covetousness if taken to heart. Ecc 5:15 As he came forth of his mother's womb, naked shall he return to go as he came, and shall take nothing of his labour, which he may carry away in his hand.
Ecc 2:21 For there is a man whose labour [is] in wisdom, and in knowledge, and in equity; yet to a man that hath not laboured therein shall he leave it [for] his portion. This also [is] vanity and a great evil.
Mat 6:19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
Luk 16:25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
6. The first creature to ever covet was Satan. Isa. 14:14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.
If you are not 100% sure that you are going to
Heaven when you die, enter in at the the door:
John 10:9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.